The City of Del City Community Services Department is committed to the protecting health and safety of Del City residents. One way to accomplish that goal is to manage the floodplains found within Del City limits. Del City contains mapped floodplains, known as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs) that represent areas that have been shown to have a 1% chance of being inundated by floodwaters in any given year. Our SFHAs are centered around five major flooding sources, including Crutcho Creek, Cherry Creek, Branch Creek and Crooked Oak Creek and their tributaries, as well as the North Canadian River. Flood damage can and does occur inside and outside of these mapped floodplains.

Del City’s Floodplain Management Program

Responsibilities and Duties include, but not limited to are:

  • Providing Information about the flood threat caused by streams, creeks and water ways in Del City
  • Providing restrictions and regulations that govern the use of floodplains;
  • Providing information on how property owners can protect themselves from flood damage; and
  • Providing information on the National Flood Insurance Program.


Know Your Risk

Did you know that there is a 26 percent chance a structure will flood over the life of a 30-year mortgage? Did you know that most homeowners’ policies do not cover flood losses?

You can protect your home and contents through the National Flood Insurance Program. You should obtain coverage for structure and contents. There can be more damage to the contents than the structure. Renters can also purchase contents coverage even if the owner doe not insure the structure. There is a 30-day waiting period before the policy becomes effective.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) delineates flood hazard areas for flood insurance purposes. These areas are shown on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) for the City of Del City. There are two ways you can determine your flood risk:

1. Go to FEMA’s Map Service Center, type your address in. Click on “Search” and click on “View” to get the flood map of the area; or

2. The City of Del City can help you determine your risk of flooding. We make available to the public our Flood Insurance Studies (FIS) and Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS). Citizens can make inquiries in person, via the phone, via email, or letter and staff will respond in a timely matter notifying you of your risk. Staff will tell you the Map Panel number, your flood risk zone, whether there has been past flooding and if there is an Elevation Certificate on file.

3. The City does keep Elevation Certificates on file for some properties within Del City, including all properties that have been newly constructed or substantially improved after January 1, 2016. To see if one is available for your property contact the City’s Planning Department at:

City of Del City
Floodplain Administrator
3701 SE 15th Street
Del City, OK 73115
(O) 405-670-7312
(F) 405-670-7368


About the National Flood Insurance Program

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is a federal program enabling property owners in participating communities to purchase flood insurance on eligible buildings and contents, whether they are in or out of a floodplain. The City of Del City participates in the NFIP, making federally backed flood insurance available to its property owners. The NFIP insures most walled and roofed buildings in the course of construction. Property owners can purchase building and contents coverage from any local property and casualty insurance agent. To find a local insurance agent that writes flood insurance in your area visit:


Flood Insurance

Del City participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and follows the Oklahoma Floodplain Management Act (OFA) as well. For any flood insurance questions, Del City has Certified Floodplain Managers (CFM) on staff that can assist you with any questions. Staff can also help you navigate the FEMA waters. Those individuals that own property in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) have a mandatory purchase requirement when obtaining a loan using federeally-backed funding. Remember that most homeowners’ insurance and business package policies do not cover flood damage. If you are a renter, remember that you can purchase coverage for your contents. Increases Cost of Compliance Coverage can assist with expenses related to regulatory compliance after a flood. To find an agent, go to and put your address in. This website will provide you with a list of agents in your area that provide flood insurance policies.

Additional Information on the Mandatory Purchase Requirement

Pursuant to the Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 and the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994, the purchase of flood insurance is mandatory for all federal or federally related financial assistance for the acquisition and/or construction of buildings in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). SFHAs are defined as any A or AE flood zone on a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM).

The mandatory purchase requirement also applies to secured loans from such financial institutions as commercial lenders, savings and loan associations, savings banks, and credit unions that are regulated, supervised, or insured by federal agencies, such as the Federal Reserve, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Comptroller of Currency, the Farm Credit Administration, the Office of Thrift Supervision, and the National Credit Union Administration. It further applies to all loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market.

Federal financial assistance programs affected by the laws include loans and grants from agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Farmers Home Administration, Federal Housing Administration, Small Business Administration, and FEMA disaster assistance.

How It Works

When making, increasing, renewing, or extending any type of federally backed loan, lenders are required to conduct a flood zone determination using the most current FEMA FIRM to determine if any part of the building is located in an SFHA. If the building is in an SFHA, the federal agency or lender is required by law to provide written notification to the borrower that flood insurance is mandatory as a condition of the loan. Even though a portion of real property on which a building is located may lie within an SFHA, the purchase and notification requirements do not apply unless the building itself, or some part of the building, is in the SFHA. However, lenders, on their own initiative, may require the purchase of flood insurance even if a building is located outside a SFHA. Up to 25% of all NFIP flood losses arise from outside SFHAs (B, C, and X zones). Under federal regulations, the required coverage must equal the amount of the loan (excluding appraised value of the land) or the maximum amount of insurance available from the NFIP, whichever is less. The maximum amount of coverage available for a single-family residence is $250,000 and for non-residential (commercial) buildings is $500,000. Federal agencies and regulators, including government-sponsored enterprises, such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mac, may have stricter requirements.

Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program, F-084 (2011)


Protecting the People

Floods occur in all 50 states. It happens to everyone, but it is important to StormReady and safe.

1. Know the difference between WATCHES and WARNINGs.

A National Weather Service WATCH is a message indicating that conditions favor the occurrence of a certain type of hazardous weather. For example, a severe thunderstorm watch means that a severe thunderstorm is expected in the next six hours or so within an area approximately 120 to 150 miles wide and 300 to 400 miles long (36,000 to 60,000 square miles). The NWS Storm Prediction Center issues such watches. Local NWS forecast offices issues other watches (flash flood, winter weather, etc.) 12 to 36 hours in advance of a possible hazardous-weather or flooding event. Each local forecast office usually covers a state or a portion of a state.

A NWS WARNING indicates that a hazardous event is occurring or is imminent in about 30 minutes to an hour. Local NWS forecast offices issue warnings on a county-by-county basis.

2. Be aware of flood hazards.

Floods can roll boulders, tear trees out, destroy buildings, rip houses off their foundations, move bridges and scour out new channels. Floodwaters can reach heights of 10 to 20 feet and often carry a deadly cargo of debris. Flood-producing rains can also trigger catastrophic debris slides. Remember this simple rule for any flood, even a flash flood: HEAD FOR HIGHER GROUND AND STAY AWAY FROM FLOOD WATERS. Even a shallow depth of fast-moving water produces more force than most people imagine. The most dangerous thing you can do is to try walking, swimming or driving through flood waters. Two feet of water will carry away most cars.

3. Plan Ahead.

** Develop a Family Disaster Plan. Include a specific plan for flood events. Contact your local Red Cross chapter, emergency management office, local National Weather Service office, or Planning and Zoning department about your area’s flood risk. Make sure that your Disaster Plan includes the development of an Emergency Kit which should include the use of a NOAA Weather Raiod with a tone-alert feature, or a portable, battery-powered radio/television for updated emergency information. Make sure all cell phones are fully charged.

** Talk to your Insurance Agent about obtaining Flood Insurance.

** Talk to your children about what to do in case of flooding and what hazards to be aware of, i.e. don’t eat any food that has come into contact with flooded water and climb to higher ground.

** Think about a plan for your four-legged family members.

4. What to do during a Flood WATCH.

** Listen to your weather radio and follow the instruction and advice of local authorities.

** Fill your bathtubs, sinks and plastic bottles with clean water.

** Be prepared to evacuate.

5. What to do during a Flood WARNING.

** Listen to your weather radio and follow the instruction and advice of local authorities.

** If told to evacuate, evacuate immediately.

** Follow recommended evacuation routes.

** Leave early enough to avoid being marooned by flooded roads.

** Avoid driving through roadways covered with running water. In Oklahoma, should you ignore the barricades blocking flooded waters and drive into flooded water, emergency services can seek reimbursement for responding to your rescue. If a driver violates the law, a court could fine him or her from $100 to $1,000 with the possibility of up to 30 days in the county jail. It pays to Turn Around Don’t Drown®.

6. Returning Home.

** If required, seek necessary medical care at the nearest hospital or clinic.

** Avoid the disaster areas. Stay out of any building if flood waters remain around the building. Only enter a building after the local officials have said it is safe to do so.

** Wear sturdy shoes. No flip flops. The most common injury flowing a flood disaster is cut feet.

** Examine the inside and outside of the structure for any damage including cracks. Document all the damage by taking pictures of the damage.

** Watch out for animals — snakes, especially the poisonous ones. Use a stick to poke through debris. Floods flush snakes and other animals out of their homes.

Remember to be safe.

For further information, the Red Cross of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality or the Federal Emergency Management Agency have websites and pamphlets regarding disaster preparation and toolkits.

Protect Your Property

Floods are the most costly disaster. Make an inventory of all your items.

1. Put important papers, pictures, etc. some place up high or off-site- for example in a safety deposit box.

2. Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home. Some Communities do not permit building in known floodplains. If there are no restrictions, and you are building in a floodplain, take precautions, making it less likely your home will be damaged during a flood.

3. Raise your furnace, water heater and electrical panel to higher floors or the attic if they are in areas of your home the may be flooded. Raising this equipment will prevent damage. An undamaged water may be your best source of fresh water after a flood.

4. Install check valves in building sewer traps to prevent flood waters from backing up into the drains of your home. as a last resort, when floods threaten, use large corks or stoppers to plug showers, tubs, or basins.

5. Construct barriers such as leaves, berms, and flood walls to stop flood water from entering the building. Permission to construct such barriers may be required by local building codes. Check local building codes and ordnances for safety requirements.

6. Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage through cracks.

7. Consult with a construction professional for further information if these and other damage reduction measures can be taken.


Other Resources Include:



Above the Flood: Elevating Your Flood prone House, FEMA-347 2000
Elevated Residential Structures, FEMA-54 1984
Protecting Building Utilities from Flood Damage, FEMA-P-348 1999
Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding, FEMA 511 2005
Flood-proofing Non-Residential Buildings, FEMA 102 1986
Flood Damage-Resistant Materials Requirements, Technical Bulleting 2 2008
Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your House From Flooding 2014


Build Responsibly

Development in the floodplain has the potential to impact flood levels. If not properly designed, a structure may be susceptible to flood damage or may cause flood damage to adjacent properties and as such, the City regulates Floodplain Development as much as possible. Development includes any construction, repair, remodeling, demolition, or storage. Permit applications must provide detail about the proposed project necessary to evaluate it for compliance, including information about the location of the property, the nature of the development and the type of work proposed. The City also has a Design Flood Elevation that is the encroached value for the base flood elevation as shown in the Flood Insurance Study plus 30 inches (known as “Freeboard”).

Improvements to existing structures in the floodplain, such as repairs, reconstruction, rehabilitation, remodels and additions, will require review by the Floodplain Administrator to determine if such improvements would constitute a “substantial improvement” as defined by Federal Regulations (Substantial Improvement is activated if the cost of the new improvements or repairs exceeds 50% of the value of the original structure.) A structure in the SFHA that is damaged (by any cause, not only flooding) such that the cost of returning the structure to the pre-damaged condition is more than 50% of the structure’s pre-damage value is considered to have sustained substantial damage. Substantial damage can result from a discreet event or can be cumulative. Detailed cost estimates are required, as they are necessary for substantial improvement evaluations. Another development guide to keep in mind is the City’s Mold and Moisture Damage Remediation Ordinance. Structures with mold or long-term damage require a mold and moisture damage remediation permit. All repairs must be supervised by an engineer. Addressing water damage quickly and properly is critical to avoid this sort of damage and the considerable expense associated with remediation.

Please be advised that if improvements are not constructed to Federal standards, this may affect the ability of the owner to obtain flood insurance or a loan on the structure. Flood relief assistance funds may also be withheld if the structure is not in compliance with Federal requirements.

All development or improvements within the City’s floodplain requires a Floodplain Development Permit from the City of Del City. If you are planning improvements in the floodplain or would like to report activities in the floodplain that appear to be un-permitted, please contact the City of Del City’s Floodplain Administrator at 405-671-2815 or

Other helpful resources are:



Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards, FEMA P-85 2009



Natural Floodplain Functions

The City of Del City recognizes that open space land is limited and that valuable resources must be conserved whenever possible. Many people view the City’s open space areas as a highly valued natural resource.

To preserve the natural and beneficial functions of open space resource areas adjacent to floodplain areas of Del City, the City tries to:

1. Prevent encroachment into the floodway;

2. All new development must detain the 100 yr flood; and

3. Have in place measures to prevent erosion.

Even if you do not live in or near a floodplain, runoff water (rain, irrigation, garden hoses) from your property flows down into the storm drains and out to the creeks. This runoff may contain pollutants that harm our creeks and streams, and the wildlife that live there. It is important to control the quantity of the water flowing in to the drainage system. Crews routinely remove debris from drains and sewers to prevent water from backing up into streets and homes when it rains. Unfortunately, actions such as littering and dumping yard waste and household fluids down storm drains can lead to blockages between scheduled maintenance work. The City of Del City has enacted the Environmental Court to handle issues such as illegal dumping to help encourage responsible behavior and to help our community maintain our natural resources.

Please do your part to keep the inlets and drainage ways clear of brush and debris. Here are step you can take to help control the quality of water in Del City’s creeks. These actions also will beautify your neighborhood and reduce the risk of dangerous flooding.

** Use a mulching mower or bag your grass and leaves in stead of blowing the yard waste into the street. Yard waste can clog storm drains and, since it is organize matter, it can reduce the amount of oxygen in the creek. Fish need oxygen to survive.

** Pick up litter around your neighborhood or business place to the trash doesn’t collect on drainage inlets or clog sewer pipes. If you see someone littering, report the incident to the Del City Code Enforcement Hotline at 405-670-7379.

** If you spot a blocked drain, call the City of Del City Publc Works Department at 405-671-2874.

** If you notice illegal dumping, call the Del City Code Enforcement Hotline at 405-670-7379, and an inspector will investigate. Putting foreign substances into the storm sewer is a violation of City ordinance.

The City of Del City is committed to protecting our creeks by involving and educating our residents. To report dumping in the floodplains or possible pollutants that may be flowing in the City’s gutters or drains, call 405-670-7379.


Other helpful resources include:


Protecting Floodplain Resources, FEMA-268 1996


Current Flood Hazard Information

City neighborhoods and business districts face different flood risks from different types of storms. High-intensity, short-duration storms pose a risk due to overwhelmed streets, ditches, culverts and storm drains. During significant, long-duration rain events, however, the flood risk along Crutcho Creek and Cherry Creek rises. A significant risk factor impacting flooding along these creeks is the overall flood stage of the North Canadian River, which is the receiving water for these tributaries.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) maintains stream gauges on the North Canadian River. Two of these stations can provide important information about the North Canadian’s flood stage, Station 07241520 North Canadian River at Britton Road and Station 07241550 North Canadian River near Harrah, OK. When either or both gauges shows the river approaching flood stage, backwater impacts on Del City’s creeks can be expected. History has shown that the impact is most significant on Cherry Creek, due to its direct route of discharge into the North Canadian. Impacts on Crutcho Creek in Del City are related to the impacts on Cherry Creek due to lost capacity in the Crutcho/Cherry cross-over in Ray Trent Park.

USGS Current Water Data for Oklahoma:

North Canadian at Britton Road:

North Canadian at Harrah:


For more Information on Floodplains:


City Planner
3701 SE 15th Street
Del City, OK 73115
(O) 405-671-2815
(F) 405-670-7368
or visit one of the following organizations websites:
Share This